Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Global Baseball

I recommend the blog Global Baseball, which has reports from a guy who received a year-long fellowship to study baseball in the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Australia, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Venezuela. The fellowship is from the Thomas J. Watson Foundation, which I see provides a year long independent study for college seniors. The project sounds very cool--this info is from that site:

Jonathan Helfgott, Bard College
Baseball's Globalization: Economics, Culture, and Sport
Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Australia, Japan
I want to use baseball as a medium for exploring the complex dynamics that accompany cultural exchange. For my project, I will immerse myself in various international baseball communities across Latin America and the Pacific Rim, where I will seek out, observe, and engage baseball players, fans, coaches, and scouts wherever I can find them. Baseball's expansion mirrors the process of economic globalization in many ways. The game of baseball is an accessible and meaningful way to examine the deeper cultural implications of this process.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  7:47 PM  

a year-long fellowship to study baseball

Just mulling over the possibilities...

Greg Weeks 11:38 AM  

Not a bad gig if you can get it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP