Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Democratic Coup in Venezuela?

Law Professor Ozan Varol raises the possibility of a coup in Venezuela that potentially leads to democracy in a post at The Monkey Cage. I like these kinds of arguments because they're counterintuitive and challenge conventional wisdom. Unfortunately he does not tell us what factors would make it more versus less democratic, as the latter is much more likely. He also distinguishes between a "full-blown" vs. a "haphazard" coup, though it's not clear what these mean.

Finally, he notes the following:

As I demonstrate in my book, other countries as diverse as Portugal, Mali, Colombia, Burkina Faso, Britain, Guinea-Bissau, Guatemala, Peru and the United States have all undergone democratization after their military forces turned their arms against their authoritarian governments.

Hmm. What was the coup attempt in the United States? I assume he means the civil war, but that's not a coup. And I don't know what Guatemalan coup he refers to because the last coup was 1954 and it led to authoritarian rule. If you want to include self-coups, then I guess you count the 1993 case in Guatemala but that's a whole different context since a) it involved strengthening the executive rather than overthrowing it; and b) it failed. So I'm not feeling too convinced at this point.

Update: I think the Guatemala case must be 1944.

1 comments:

shah8 2:46 AM  

This sort of thing is why I believe that a critical deficiency in foreign policy writing/blogging is how white it is. And of course, I think it's a major reason why Venezuala coverage sucks so bad.

More to the point of the post. Of course there has been coups in the US, the ones that ended Reconstruction early on, and the ones that installed the more modern Jim Crow systems.

Otherwise, you're basically left with the small possibility that the JFK assassination was a coup.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP